The term Catalyst switch networks refers to Cisco’s patented network switch technology, which runs on CatOS software instead of the better known Cisco IOS software used by Cisco routers. Catalyst switches come in several models, and are often purchased used after being refurbished. In this article, we list some of the benefits of used and refurbished catalyst switch networks based on the following models: 2950, 3750, 2960, and 3560.
Cisco stand alone, fixed-configuration 2950 switches are ideal for small to midsize computer networks. Their benefits include:
• Excellent redundancy for fault backup, including expedient failover recovery, high fault tolerance, and rapid spanning tree convergence.
• Bandwidth optimization that prevents faulty end-stations from affecting broader system performance.
• Top security features that use the latest in authentication, encryption, and intrusion detection technology.
• Easy to deploy and use in terms of initialization with a web browser, troubleshooting, and multiple configuration across a network.
Cisco stackable 3750 switches are ideal for midsize companies that need configuration flexibility, improved support for network pattern convergence, and automated network services configurations. Their benefits include:
• Easy to deploy and use due to a plug-and-play configuration that makes a stack self-managing and self-configuring.
• Easy network expansion due to their ability to be mixed and matched.
• Uninterrupted network performance at layers two and three due to the ability of each switch to serve as master, ensuring the normal operation of a network in the event of a switch failure.
• Lower maintenance cost due to the automatic reloading of a removed switch’s port-level configuration after it is replaced.
Cisco compact 2960 switches are ideal for environments that can’t accommodate traditional wiring. Their benefits include:
• Top Security features that use the latest in authentication technology and network admission control.
• Compact design that includes no fan or magnet, and can be rack mounted.
• Easy to deploy and use in terms of network configuration, upgrades, and troubleshooting.
• High performance for their scale due to Gigabit Ethernet connectivity.
Cisco fixed-configuration, stackable 3560 switches are ideal for organizations with enterprise-class configuration needs. Their benefits include:
• Easy to use and deploy in terms of initial configuring, auto sensing the speed of attached devices, and multi-switch port trunk configuring.
• Excellent redundancy for fault backup, including expedient failover recovery and high fault tolerance.
• Enhanced performance IP routing that facilitates improved control of flow redirection, regardless of routing protocol configuring.
• Top Security features that use the latest in authentication, encryption, and intrusion detection technology.
Where to turn for Advice on Catalyst Switch Networks
Whether your organization is interested in new Catalyst switches or refurbished ones, the best option is to have an IT service that specializes in Cisco equipment sales and maintenance evaluate your network needs. Some IT companies that refurbish Cisco products them offer with a lifetime warranty.